In the last post, we touched briefly on series. Let’s talk about it a little more.
I don’t know about you, but I love series. Any kind of series, new characters or old, it doesn’t matter. I will buy them. A little peeve of mine, though, is I need to start a series at the beginning. Nothing is more annoying than when the book assumes you know information or characters when you don’t have a clue.
- Visiting the same world again.
- Revisiting beloved or new characters.
- You already know what to expect from the writer, so you pretty much know if you’ll like the story. No second guessing or doubts about spending the dough.
- Book covers not clearly labeled. I hate buying books that don’t indicate they are part of a series. I need to read books in order.
- Cliff hangers. A mystery for the next book is fine, but leave the story unfinished is another thing.
- When the author or publisher stops the series in the middle without giving us readers a satisfying resolution. Not cool.
- Time between releases. Ugh. Need I say more?
I still read a number of ongoing series from years ago. I can’t seem to make myself stop. Here are some of my favorite series:
Michelle Sagara (Chronicales of Elantra)
Nalini Singh (Guild Hunter)
Devon Monk (Magic Series)
Lora Leigh (Breed Novel)
Marjorie M. Liu (A Hunters Kiss)
Ilona Andrews (Magic Series)
Diana Pharaoh Francis (Horngate Witches)
Karen Marie Moning
G. A. Aiken (Dragon Series)
Faith Hunter (A Jane Yellowrock Series)
Lili St. Crow (A Strange Angels Novel)
And at least a dozen more. What can I say? I’m a book hound. These are books that I will buy without reading the blurps or covers. These are the books that make me run home and stay up all night until they are finished. Some people re-read previous books before the author’s next release. I never done that before. I’m not much of a re-reader.
How about you? Do you like series or have any specific pet peeves? Also, do you re-read? What are some of your favorites?